Everyone in Poland is getting down to some serious Wigilia preparations for the most important day of they year for us Poles – Christmas Eve! And it’s all about family getting together, the first star in the sky, presents… but most importantly the amazing food!
So if you fancy a taste of a Polish Christmas, here’s your shopping list (find the nearest shop to you now!) :
- start off with the sledzie (pickled herring) with onions – yum – amazing with some good old polish rye bread and butter
- obligatory pierogi/dumplings (you can make them, that’s a fun evening of dumpling sticking, rolling and filling!) – look for ‘kapusta z grzybami’ ones (mushrooms + cabbage) – you can then fry them off in some olive oil…. yum!
- make it healthy with a very traditional and tasty Polish cooked veg salad – pick it up in the shop or make it yourself (a night of choppping!) with cooked carrots and parsnips, apples, onions, peas and some mayo/yoghurt
- Karp/carp – ah this is the most amazing fish, fatty and delicious, you slice it into lovely big chunks, then roll it in flour + egg and fry them off – AMAZING!
- barszcz/ beetroot soup – you can buy the juice in the shop, and drop some bits of beetroot in it + pepper and warm it up to eat
- ‘uszka’ (ears!) – similar to the dumplings, just curled into a smaller ring of dumpling so that you can pop 4 or so of them in the barszcz soup (in the olden days, you could put an engagement ring in one of these…. better not eat it tho!!)
- once all the savoury treats are done, it’s time for the cakes – you local shop should be full of the traditional delicacies like makowiec (poppy seed roll), sernik (cheesecake) and piernik (honey loaf cake)… you can of course make a cheesecake yourself (our Polish one is a baked variety) …. .nothing beats home made cakes …. my nan’s piernik is to die for 🙂 and the longer you keep it the nicer it gets!
- to wash it all down with, you can opt for some wine or vodka…. but make it ultra digestive-friendly and buy or make some dried fruit Kompot (juice). Simply pick up a dried fruit mix in the polish shop – with dried plums, pears, apples and add some cinnamon sticks and boil it for a good while to get the flavour…. you can also keep re-heating this throughout Xmas if you make a huge couldron of it!
Your shopping list is ready…. happy shopping!!
Here’s some pics to whet your appetite…. yummm!! 2 days to go!!!